Wednesday 6 January 2010

TOMS + ELEMENT and giving and what it means to help


I am supposed to be reading and taking notes on The Mask of Anarchy by P.B. Shelley. However, due to my inability to remain focused and my propensity for starting things I never finish I decided to wander through some of the internet to see what I might find. My starting point was TOMS.
I have known about TOMS for a while but only just recently purchased a pair of shoes from them; the idea that buying shoes for me would get shoes to someone who needs them was too good to postpone any longer. In addition, I have been looking at pictures of a lot of the work TOMS does on their site because pictures are interesting. TOMS worked with Element skateboards on a project in which both shoes and skateboards were delivered to kids all over the place. I am supremely jealous of those who are able to go out and do something cool while I must be content, for the moment, doing nothing but studying so that I have options later. I assume it is a very exclusive group that gets to travel with TOMS specifically to do their work in Africa but surely it is not as difficult to sign up randomly and go. I think everyone should buy a pair of TOMS because it is a ridiculously available way to do something good without any personal sacrifice. I suppose 50 bucks is not cheap but to be honest shoes for an African kid are a bit more important than a meal at a restaurant or football tickets or whatever. Plus TOMS look cool. You can be cool. And you can help people too.
What TOMS really makes me do is doubt the purpose of all the studying I am doing. I will take the GRE and the LSAT, go somewhere for post-graduate studies, get more degrees, teach English and so on and so forth. Boring. The more immediately productive thing to do would be to fly to Africa. However, this shmedium existential crisis about the meaning of my purpose and what is most right to do is really just me enjoying pissing myself off. I know I need to get all the serious studying and degree receiving out of the way. Even if I want to go give Africans free stuff all the time. Also this Africa thing is questionable too because I think it would be fair to say there are many people who need help in America as well. I wonder if anyone is giving them free shoes. But no one can fix everything at once. Baby steps. Maybe baby steps in TOMS. Giving, at the end of the day, must come in all forms. TOMS is just one of them.
Lastly, the band The Avett Brothers is bad ass. So is Brand New. I will listen to both of them as I continue reading Shelley talking about little kids being knocked out by the stone tears of some dude named Fraud while Murder leads bloodhounds around squashing Irish Rebellions and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment